The function of the Assessor's Department is to value all taxable real and personal property in the Township annually through completion of an annual assessment roll. The department is responsible for the following:
- Evaluating all new construction;
- Continually studying and analyzing the local real estate market to determine property value as of tax day, December 31;
- Maintaining the Land File System, consisting of name, address and /or legal description of all property parcels;
- Maintaining the mapping system by processing all approved splits and combinations of property;
- Providing the means of assessment appeal through the March Board of Review and correction of mutual mistakes of fact or clerical error through the July and December Boards of Review;
- Preparing and defending all assessment petitions to the Michigan Tax Tribunal; and
- Preparing the reports, forms and warrants mandated by the county and state for equalization of assessments.